Malaysia Turns Up The Heat On IP Commercialisation And Education
IP And Businesses
The growing need for businesses to secure their secrets and their Intellectual Property (IP) in an increasingly digital, post covid world has prompted the Malaysian arm of the International Intellectual Property Commercialization Council (IIPCC) to hold an inaugural series of events under the banner of MyIPComm22.
MyIPComm22 is supported by main stakeholders including the Small and Medium Enterprises Association (SAMENTA) as co-organisers, the Malaysia Semiconductor Industry Association (MSIA), and the Premium Supporting Partner.
One of the main events lined up under the banner of MyIPComm22 is the inaugural MyIPComm22 International Conference scheduled to be held on 27 May 2022 in Malaysia.
The key focus of this very first conference is to raise awareness of IP as a key asset class for business growth and economic development, and connect IP-rich companies with the financial support they need to expand their businesses.
The conference topics include Traditional and Non-Traditional IP Disputes, Fintech, Non-Fungible Token, Metaverse, Artificial Intelligence, IP In IR4.0, current trends and many more. More than 1000 participants from across the globe can be expected to attend this hybrid conference, both physically and virtually.
The line-up of speakers includes the who’s who within the IP industry including:
- Judge Ou Xiu Ping, the Deputy Chief Judge of the Intellectual Property of the Guangdong High People’s Court and the Vice President of the Shantou Intermediate People’s Court
- Jari Vaario, Head of Asia Patent Transactions & External Alliances, of Nokia
- Deborah Biber, Certified Advisory Board Chair in the Board of the Pacific Basin Economic Council (PBEC) and Chairman of the UN ESCAP Sustainable Business Network’s Digital Economy Task Force
- XiaoBing Tang, Senior Counsellor, Market Access Division of the World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Dato Seri Wong Siew Hai (President of Malaysia Semiconductor Industry Association-MSIA & former Vice President of Technology and Manufacturing Group of INTEL)
- Professor Chul Choi, Professor and Director of the Center for International IP and Finance of Law School of Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS)
- Gunther Marten, Former Minister-Counselor of Embassy of the EU to China
- Patricia Chung, the President of IIPCC Malaysia
- Soh Eng Hooi, Forensic Accountant from EH Soh & Partners
- Michael Lim from Crowe Global Consulting
- Bahari Yeow, Partner of Messrs GanPartnership (former Head of Intellectual Property Department of Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill-LHAG).
These experts will share their insights on how to leverage the commercialisation of IP to transform businesses and boost the nation’s economic growth.
Participants can expect to take away golden nuggets of knowledge from the conference, as well as expand their network within the IP industry. For more information on this conference, interested parties can browse their website for more information.
MyIPCom Conference And IP Commercialisation
Apart from the MyIpComm22 Conference, other events under the IIPCC series include:
28 & 29 May 2022
IIPCC’s annual All Chair’s Meeting (by invitation). Malaysia is hosting this meeting with IIPCC Members participating from over 23 countries.
31 May – 3 June 2022
Basic IP-Innopreneurship™ Certification Course – held over four days and a global certification course for business people. The brainchild of Patricia Chung, the President of IIPCC Malaysia Berhad, her fellow Malaysia Chapter Members, and the IIPCC Board of Directors, this programme is a world first and is being held for the first time in Malaysia.
Faculty is drawn from leading IP Commercialisation and Innovation professionals from several countries.
This series of events was part of IIPCC Malaysia’s effort in building a greater awareness of the potential of IP and its impact on the economy across all levels.
This inaugural IP Commercialisation Programme 2022 (MyIPComm22) was launched earlier in March by the Chief Minister of Penang YAB Chon Kon Yeow at the SAMENTA SME CEO Forum, where the Penang State Government pledged to set the benchmark in commercialising Intellectual Property (IP) in Malaysia with a complete and sustainable IP ecosystem.
The premise of MyIPComm22 as IIPCC’s global flagship programme is to make Malaysia a future-proof IP ecosystem.